Music Banter - View Single Post - Help me fix my car
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
coryallen2
Account Disabled

You might not have or have to much battery because when you start your car a whole bunch of eletric signals get started goign at the same time.
Heres soem tips mane!

1.Test you eletrical system voltage: The best way to test for electrical system voltage is to use a voltage meter basically a volt meter. I take it you know how to do this so the volts should be anywhere between 12.4 to 12.6.

2. Starter Voltage/Amperage Draw Test: Turn on your head lights and look at them. turn the ignition key if the headlights stay bright the circuit is not connected therefore no voltage drop.If headlights dim wayyyyyy down this means your car does not have enoughe battery power, and if you got a new battery this shoudl not be a problem.

The next part is a little more difficult so im going to consult a website on this and use pictures.

3. Check Neutral Safety Switch/Clutch Safety Switch: . A neutral or clutch safety switch is used to disengage the electrical circuit from the ignition key to the starter motor as a safety device. Automatic transmission vehicle gear selector needs to be either in park or neutral before the engine will crank (Make sure the parking brake is activated). If the gear selector is in any of the other gear sections the engine will not crank over. A standard transmission vehicle the clutch pedal needs to be fully depressed before the engine will crank over. To test this circuit an automotive test light is needed. Attach one end of the test light to engine ground and the other end to the starter trigger terminal of the starter solenoid (small wire). The test light should illuminate when the ignition switch is activated (Crank engine over). If the test light illuminates the starter motor/solenoid has failed and needs to be replaced. If the test light does not illuminate suspect a neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch. A wiring diagram is needed to trace power from the ignition switch through the safety switch and down to the starter solenoid. Replace failed components as needed and recheck system.

4. Check your anti theft system: Alot of new cars (2000 and up) have an anti theft system that will not allow the starter to operate so check that out.

5. Look for internal/external engine damage. Look for "Shiny" oil,chips,wear,ect.ect.

This is all just troubleshooting but i would catch it before you screw up a tranny or something. That can cost big bucks.

But before any of these needs to be done. See if your check engine light is on.
coryallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote