Music Banter - View Single Post - The Complete Discography thread Van Morrison
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #74 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Avalon Sunset (1990)

Continuing his quest to fill the uncertainly of his Spiritual side Morrison goes to work on his most devout and mystical effort to date.

Avalon Sunset (1989)

A major commercial and critical success, it features a major hit, a major standard composition and my least favorite and most confusing Morrison track ever. An album better then I remembered but not as good as others remember…

1. Whenever God Shines His Light – Like most atheists I just love a good God heavy song and this sure is one. It’s as pretentious and as adoring as its title suggests, but that is not to diminish the music which is if not unique certainly well executed and enjoyable. The vocal duet with Cliff Richard and the playful peppy beat are a winning combination despite there more then a little cheesy nature. A solid choice for the opening number on the album. 7.5\10

2. Contacting My Angel – Smooth Jazz walk at a slow and steady gait through the Celtic roots Morrison continued to embrace. Never gains much stem, as Morrison sort of builds the mood of the album too come without giving away too much in foreshadowing. It’s just not what you’re looking for as a long time Morrison fan, but it certainly found it’s audience and I’m as guilty as anyone my age for enjoying it a bit too much in the sentimental department. 6\10

3. I’d Love to Write Another Song – An up-tempo romp with an ensemble arrangement featuring full band, horn section, piano and back-up vocals. The Black Sheep of the album that seems to be a bit of inspiration for Morrison work of the late 2000’s decade. It’s Morrison lamenting the inability to just “write another song” This is one that would work better on a different album then it does here amongst the ethereal mist. 6.5\10

4. Have I Told you Lately – One of Morrison’s many adult contemporary standards written in the 80’s and 90’s. This number was made a huge hit five years later by Rod Stewart. A lot of the thoughts I have about “Contacting my Angel” fit for this song, yes it’s a bit tacky a loaded with cliché but lyrically and musically, but it’s still beautiful when the right voice and the right arrangement belt it out. 7.5\10

5. Coney Island – Morrison starts in poetic narrative monologue and for two minutes that an almost humorous Irish\Scottish accent is all you get. I still haven’t let this one slide. 3.5\10

6. I’m Tired Joey Boy – This is what Coney Island should have been; there is a nice progression here and a subtly delightful melody complete with perfectly anticipated and executed fills. Opening up the second side with new reason for optimism in both the message and the music: It’s a traditional number with a modern twist and at under three minutes it’s the perfect length. 7.5\10

7. When Will I ever Learn to Live in God – Morrison at his most anxious and involved on this album as he breaks cadence to set the mood even more mystical then the music can reveal. The chorus is a reminder of his finest moments of the decade finding the right notes and the right words to relate the desperation of his uncertainty. It’s Gospel undertones are another theme prevalent on the album. “Avalon Sunset” is often considered Morrison’s most spiritual album. 8\10

8. Orangefield – Orangefield is a song of hope and belief of faith really and one that I instantly liked. It has the distinct sound of 1989 allover it and yet overcomes that to persist as a touching number. The song builds very well and the subtle adjustments in arrangement including the more preeminent use of the strings in the final verse and chorus set this composition apart from the rest of the album. 8.5\10

9. Daring Night – The most sensual track on the album, “Daring Night” was actually intended as an Instrumental for an album earlier in the decade, but Morrison’s impromptu lyrics in one studio session led to a lightly scripted arrangement that eventually became this track. With the acute attention paid to the musical cadence the combination with Morrison’s powerful growl and desperate anxiety elevate this number above its base merits. Morrison even slows it down and turns instruction into lyrics in-between chorus lines. The drawn out ending is a highlight of the album. 8\10

10. These are the Days – The final track is another inspirational celebration of the present despite the futures uncertainty. A far cry from the Morrison of 15 and 20 years prior, but yet still a musical giant with a great voice he’s still displaying at anytime his message needs it. A restful, seductive rhythm and the hopeful lyrics melt into a mystical menagerie of all the albums elements and a fitting closing chapter. Morrison feels this music as sincerely as any he has in quite sometime and this in my opinion is what drove the success of this album, the second biggest seller of the decade.. 8\10

…Christagu is accurate in describing Van’s experimentation in various genres to be a bit boring despite the quality often times. Overall however I am not as kind to the album as he is. It is boring overall, again it fails to consistently capture me the way Morrison always had, not then and still not now. There is no doubt that it is a strong finish, but at this point that’s more the expectation then the exclamation for Morrison.

Defining Track(s): “Whenever God Shines His Light”, “Have I told You Lately” they are the biggest hits and speak directly to Morrison’s most prevalent theme and most prolific style of songwriting.
Line in my head: “One Four, One Four” (calling for the chord pattern in the ending of Daring Night)
Christagu’s Take: A- Like it or not, Morrison's genre exercises are kind of boring. Having long since sold his soul to his Muse, he's her slave for life, and though he keeps importuning various gods to loose his chains, the best they can offer is extra inspiration once in a while--now, for instance. Cliff Richard's support on his liveliest tune since "Cleaning Windows" suggests that Christ the Redeemer is lending a hand, but on the first side Van prefers to find the divine in the blessed present--folk lyric, poem about birdwatching, song called "I'd Like To Write Another Song." Side two comes out more today-is-the-first-day-of-the-rest-of-Van's-life--that is, his own genre exercise. And for a side he gets away with it.

Star rating: (1-5) (from my personal catalog) ***1\2
How it made me feel today: (1-10): 7.5
Overall Ranking: TBD

Next up: Enlightenment- 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote