Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Yes Album
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #76 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Rush and Pink Floyd are more well known today overall, they have the most appeal to classic rock fans, and unlike other prog bands they get a lot of radio play. Though old school Yes does get radio play from time to time.

While they're not as popular Floyd and Rush are now, they used to be more popular than both of them. Starting with The Yes Album, Yes were the most popular progressive rock band in the early 70s, they helped the genre break into the mainstream, after them Jethro Tull and ELP also got really popular, even bands like Gentle Giant and Van Der Graaf Generator enjoyed some mainstream success during that period, Genesis were not as popular with the media at that time but they made up for it with a cult following and a rapidly growing influence.

It wasn't until the mid 70s after prog's mainstream popularity was waning that Pink Floyd and Rush became mainstream bands themselves, they kept prog alive for the late 70s when the other bands careers were reaching a dead end, both because the media was now focusing on punk but also because their music was declining in quality. Tormato was such a failure that it lead to Anderson and Wakeman leaving the band, and that eventually led to Yes's transformation into an 80s pop group when Trevor Horn got involved with the band.

And yeah I get the Rush comparisons quite often, Yes had a good deal of influence on them.
Alright Ive just bought the Yes albums 'Close To The Edge', 'Time & Word' & 'Roundabout (Live Album)'.
Should hopefully get them in next couple of days so will let you know how I get on.
Also thanks for recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote