Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #167 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Can we take this to the recreational drug thread plase?
This discussion was going great until Corey showed up, and would like for it to get back on topic so we dont need to read 8 pages of garbage.
After much discussion, from an economical stand point I might lean a bit more towards not legalizing it, I really feel that I cannot draw a solid conclusion until it happens. It could ultimately remove criminal punishment, yet send prices sky high. Also, it could be beneficial if black market dealers were forced to compete with the gov for lower prices.
i still lean a bit more the other way but i think we need to clarify terms here, mainly legalization and decriminalization. as far as i know alcohol is not considered 'legal', it was prohibited and then decriminalized with limitations and regulations. which leads me to believe that if it were 'legalized' it would eliminate any sort of personal restriction. (like the difference between beer and pepsi).

as such i'm not much for 'legalization', i don't think i should be able to get it on the shelf in the grocery store between the oregano and parsley. it shouldn't be freely available to anyone, and it should be relatively controlled (just like alcohol and tobacco). that's why i liked the proposed 'decriminalization' we had going a while back.

in regards to the homegrown angle, have beer and wine kits really altered the alcohol industry that much? growing 'good' pot is a challenge and one that most stoners would likely give up on for the convenience of just paying for a pouch at their local smoke shop.

being canadian i'm also not that familiar with US laws in regards to the drug. i do know that american society has a much harsher view on it than ours, especially with the 3 strikes and your out insanity.

i'll always remember a few years ago a guy from NY was having dealings with my employer and wanted to get some green. being that i was one of the resident long hairs he asked me for a hook up, but i'm no dealer. either way, we had a little chat about drug views on either side of the border, it amazed me that his peers considered pot to be a harsh drug on par with LSD and heroin, yet cocaine was totally fine. great job education your population uncle sam, great job indeed.

i'm also curious as to why the drug is illegal, i've never been able to find a legitimate reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote