Music Banter - View Single Post - Swine Flu
Thread: Swine Flu
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #136 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Always a new virus or disease to hype when the last one failed to meet that highly coveted "worldwide pandemic" title isn't there?

I guess I have to lay off of the cow brains for a while.
Mad Cow's Disease has had it's time in the spotlight already, just wanted to point out show people can get it and it's killed more people so far than the swine flu as far as I know.

By the way mad cow's disease is a prion, rogue proteins. Proteins as you probably know are chains of amino acids and they are folded into a certain structure or "confirmation" to work (other chaperone proteins help with such folding). Prions themselves cause some other proteins to misfold which is what causes the diseases.

I don't like the swine flu hype, but I can understand it. At the moment, we don't know how many lives it's gonna take because it's not a full blown pandemic yet. It seems some of you prefer to wait until after it's become a pandemic, then see if it's worthy the hype or not. Maybe the media in America is a bit too hysterical (how would I know?), but I think the point is that we need to take preventative measures to be sure this does not get out of hand. If I were a government, I'd be careful with this situation as well.