Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #180 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitonica View Post
I'm going with Mr Dave here and saying that most people would gladly buy their weed for the convenience of not having to grow it. Also, I doubt many home growers would be able to compete with a massive farm operation with government approval, weed would probably drop in price and make it pretty unprofitable for small time operations. This is just my own rampant speculation.

But I think, regardless of any economic value, regardless on whether it's going to be taxed it should be legalised (or decriminalised) for the simple reason that it's relatively harmless and people shouldn't be punished for using or growing it.
They would be able to compete very well because the government farms stuff would be taxed while the homegrowers stuff would not - it would be the black market. What would you pay, a lotta dollahs for a government bag or a black market bag for 1/4th of the price?

As I wrote earlier, if you simply allow weed and don't bother taxing it, then you get all the negative effects of weed without any benefits and for a society, that makes no sense at all.