Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite 70s Prog Band: Redux
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I voted for Genesis, at one time or another I was interested in Pink Floyd and Yes. Yes is a band of extraordinary talent and I like Yes and I don't want to sound like I am knocking them, but in my opion their songs are just a means to showcase their virtuosity, it is like a revolving door of solos, while with Genesis, it all about the song. Steve Hackett is not your typical blues-based guitarist during the 70's, he has an unconvential approach and Peter Gabriels singing made it the best Prog Band in the early 70's.
To be fair, that is a very broad criticism that's often directed towards prog rock in general.

Granted Yes are one of the most solo oriented prog bands, but while long solos can ruin songs, IMO it doesn't for Yes. Long interchanging solos work for them because they keep it fresh and interesting, it's not by the numbers and Howe, Squire and Wakeman especially know how to surprise and capitvate me with their solos. They tend to bring about the best moments in songs.

Genesis don't dabble in long solos quite as often but they do have them, but again Banks and Hackett are so original that they never bore me, Rutherford/Collins aren't as virtuostic and showy as Squire/Bruford but they know how to suit the songs perfectly.

So I detest the idea that long solos are automatically boring.

If there's any prog band who ruins their material with long, boring by the numbers solos, it's Dream Theater.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote