Music Banter - View Single Post - The Most Overrated Television Show Ever
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #184 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
Am I the only one that noticed the brief stigma following Seinfeld's success that seemed to insinuate that being Jewish meant you were funny, and vice versa?

Besides that, can somebody explain to why it is funny and not one of the most over-rated shows ever?
I can honestly say I have no idea what you are referring to, no. Maybe if you could provide examples?

And yes, it all comes down to personal taste. Whereas it is true, at least in my eyes, that a lot of people just never really got Seinfeld it is also true that a lot of people do get it and just don't like it. It's the same with anything really.

I like Seinfeld because it was daring, it pushed a lot more buttons than a lot of sitcoms of the time, it was clever as it was more often than not done in such a way that they could slip it past the network or present in such a way that it was allowed to air. They had brilliant scripts, a perfect balance between funny dialogue and physical comedy and they both tried and suceeded to seperate themselves from some of the more traditional half hour sitcoms that were big at the time. They went up either before or after Cheers for years which offers a fine example of that in comparison.

Not saying people arent allowed to dislike it or disagree with me but they are a few of many reasons why you'll never find me putting Seinfeld in this thread.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote