Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wipers, why do I never see discussion of this great band
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Odyshape
Account Disabled

Default The Wipers, why do I never see discussion of this great band

I think it is about time we have a Wipers thread, I searched the forum and found very little about them, for people who don't know who they are they are a late 70s - 2000 or so Portland punk band. They have a very unique sound and a very peculiar musical ethic behind them (which is very strange to me because a lot of their music has a poppy sound to them). I have no idea what bands influenced them, I have looked up some interviews and it never really came up, the most notable and well known band that was influenced BY The Wipers would be Nirvana as Kurt Kobain was a huge fan. Greg Sage, the front man and producer created almost all of the music and did all the technical mumbo jumbo himself. What I find very strange is that he was obsessed with the technical aspects of music (like cutting records) far before he even thought of making music, I think this has an effect on the band creating quite a unique yet evolving sound over the course of their period together. I believe they made 9 Full length albums.

My favorite early album by them would be Is This Real, it has many great (some extremely catchy) songs that won't leave your head. I am not really sure what to compare it to or how to describe as I am quite awful at that so I will just post youtube link PM if you have difficulty finding the album. Recommended songs : Return Of the Rat, Mystery, Window Shop for Love, Wait a Minute, D-7

My favorite mid life span album by them is Follow Blind, this one is drastically different from the first three departing from its punk sound and going more in the light of post-punk and psychedelic rock, the opening title track is just fantastic and ill post the link for this one aswell. Recommended Songs : Follow Blind, Someplace Else, Against the wall, Loser Town

(I apologize for having the song title and all within the song name, for some reason my account was acting weird and was not able to upload it so I found the album on a BLOG)

Well I hope the Community of MUSICBANTER enjoys the Wipers as much as I did.

This is off of "Is this Real"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbHhd6epORU

This is Off of Follow Blind (sorry for the live recording usually not the best place to hear a song for the first song but it was the best I could do)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEs7y...rom=PL&index=5

Last edited by Odyshape; 05-02-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Mixed links
Odyshape is offline   Reply With Quote