Music Banter - View Single Post - Slowly Goes The Night
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #80 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

New Dark Age – Yen Pox (2000)

GENRES – Dark Ambient

Nightrise - 9:38
Hell's Gate - 11:34
Scorched Earth - 9:34
Blood From The Heavens - 11:52
Silence And Desolation - 13:08
Sunfall - 9:22

Requested by Obombration. I would have liked to think that I listened to my fair share of dark ambient music. When Obombration requested I review this album, I didn’t know what to expect really, knowing he is into his metal. After one listen, I have decided this is my first true dark ambient album I have actually listened to .

Now, I am not being a slack arse here or anything, but I seriously do not know what the hell to write for this album. It is everything you would expect from a dark ambient album. Full of electronic drones that don’t necessarily lead to a high point as one would expect with a post rock sort of affair; instead there is a never ending melancholic tone. It comes from the earth itself, as if a beast of unimaginable evil resides beneath the crust. It is to the point where I feel I am ripping off Obombration, so rather than attempt a full review, I will use these recommendations to highlight some small aspects of the album and avoid giving it a full review.

I can easily understand its appeal to a certain audience however. It contains a haunting nature, as one would expect from the genre, however it has done it a lot better than from other dark ambient groups I have listened to since finding this album.

I think the real problem is, this would be a perfect album in the right situation. Unfortunately I am very rarely in that situation. It would be good sleeping music, however I cannot sleep with music on in the background, and it simply gets my brain working too much unless I am absolutely pissed or tired as hell. It’s not the type of album I wanted to turn off because it isn’t boring by any stretch of the imagination, but in the same vein I felt it wouldn’t get really special on a personal level.

It is worth a check out for fans of the genre. Unless you think this sort of music will be appealing to you, then I wouldn’t recommend it as it truly is an acquired taste. In the end it isn’t the type of album that you can characterise in words. It is an experience, where you have no idea where the album would lead you, and is unique to every person who tries.

Some may find the imagery disturbing in this youtube video…
– Hell’s Gate (Extract)

Apologies to Obombration for the lacklustre comments, I shouldn’t have promised more .
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote