Music Banter - View Single Post - Colour Coded Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #63 (permalink)
Roygbiv
marquee moon

VIOLET

DISTORTION THE MAGNETIC FIELDS

You bet The Magnetic Fields joined the revival of the shoegaze/noise scene initially predominant in the last two decades. Between 2008 and 2009, the Crystal Stilts, Vivian Girls, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, M83 and The Magnetic Fields released albums with sprawling melodies and malleable guitars, but none were approached as a mere gimmick more than The Magnetic Field’s Distortion.

Evidence is all over their discography. Their first big, big, big gimmick was releasing a three disk compilation titled 69 Love Songs, followed by I, an album where each track title started with the letter I. And now we have Distortion - each track smothered by amplified guitars and feedback. Actually, I wouldn’t use the word smothered, because that would imply that The Magnetic Fields succeeded in capturing the power of the music they were inspired by. The noise-pop fundamentals are present but, excluding the two opening numbers, you can’t help but get the feeling that if you stripped the songs of their “noise” they’d be just as efficient. The noisy soundscapes are not essential. It also doesn’t help that the songs are very forgettable, leaving you with very little even after a few listens.

No Magnetic Fields gimmick will ever be as prolific as 69 Love Songs, but the acceptance of this fact shouldn’t lower our expectations of their following efforts. They are an incredibly talented band with some fantastic ideas. What they don’t need is time (4 years between I and Distortion), but to be inspired as they were 10 years ago.

Last edited by Roygbiv; 05-05-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote