Music Banter - View Single Post - Strength / Weakness
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Pink Floyd

Strengths: Created one of the finest and influential debut albums ever recorded. Did'nt write hit singles after the first album. Created some of the earliest and influential stage shows. Have a guitarist with one of the most mournful sounds ever put to vinyl. Never craves publicity. Had awesome album covers.

Weaknesses: Wrote some average banal songs that somehow have come become classic (Money). Became decidely less progressive with each album which is short change for one of the first progressive bands. Roger Waters became an arse. Are Middle class bores.
Ah c'mon, I love that song and you know if you were listening to it in 1973, you would have thought it was awesome.

Anywho.

Pink Floyd:

Strengths: One of the most original and creative bands ever. They put less emphasis on chops than other prog bands, which made them stand out. Waters is a brilliant lyricist. Gilmour has the most gorgeous guitar tone ever. Wright is one of the great keyboard wizards. Got around the fact that Waters and Wright weren't exactly masters of their instruments. Some of the best album covers ever. Gilmour and Wright also has some tight solo stuff.

Weaknesses: The annoying fanboy cult of one Syd Barrett. The fact that Waters turned into an assh*le, and while fancying himself the "leader" of the band he got lazy as a musician, having Gilmour record a lot of the bass parts on Animals and The Wall. Waters' solo stuff is pretty damn awful.

The Beatles:

Strengths: Pop music geniuses. Lennon and McCartney are in the top 10 greatest songwriters ever, Harrison is at least in the top 30.. Brought about the british invasion and changing the sound of rock music. Taking the bold risk of retiring from concerts to focus on creating more progressive music. George Martin was a freaking wizard, but they were also more skilled musicians than people give them credit for. Lennon, McCartney and Harrison all put out strong solo material. Lennon had a great sense of humor and turned being an assh*le into an admirable talent.

Weaknesses: Letting Ringo write songs. Making Yoko Ono famous. Writing Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. The huge quantities of crappy soft rock McCartney has been dissing out for the last 30 years. Influencing Oasis.

Led Zeppelin:

Strengths: One of the greatest ensemble bands ever. Brought a sense of power to rock n roll that has never been successfully imitated since. Page is a god among guitarists. Plant has one of the best howls in rock. A consistant run of great albums. John Paul Jones is an underappreciated musical talent who is not only good at many instruments but produced albums for REM and Butthole Surfers. Made singing about LOTR cool.

Weaknesses: Not the best lyrics in the world. Plants vocals lost their power as years went by. The sad fact that you never know when a concert of theirs is gonna be f*cking amazing or f*cking horrible. Inevitably led to power metal. The fact that Page hasn't done anything interesting since. Robert Plant really let himself go. Wolfmother.

Yes:

Strengths: Maybe the best collection of virtuoso musicians in all of rock music. Took influences from all over the place and made it into something that was entirely their own. Brought progressive rock into the mainstream. Still churned out two good albums even after turning into a pop band. Wakeman's experience with the band is some of the most hilarious reading material you will ever find. Roger Dean's awesome album cover art. Jon Anderson's daughter is really f*cking hot.

Weaknesses: Can never keep a consistant line up. All the crap they put out in the 80s and 90s. Some of the most mumbo jumbo lyrics you will ever come across. Wakeman now has 500 rock operas all based on some piece of literature. Howe now looks like the cryptkeeper. Asia

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote