Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall of Fame: Induction Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #113 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCellarTapes View Post
Do you not think though Mirrorball that these Hall of Fame threads have generated good and honest debate and discussion?
Yes, just as any discussion about music on this forum does. I just dont like the whole concept of holding up these particular artists and saying 'they are the best' etc etc.
I think all the music I listen(or perhaps more appropriately like- although there is some stuff where I dont like but can still appreciate it for what it is) to is good in its own right & thats how I think that ,due to the original concept of these hall of fame things, they are unecessary.
The way I see 'the best in the world' statement is that it is based up limited experience of music. I find it impossible to actually truthfully say that this band or this artist is 'the best in the world' as I havent heard every single artist to compare against.
You never know when youre gonna find a new great band and anything can happen with new artists and bands coming out (not so much the mainstream ones).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
nobody nominated the Who and i don't think the Stones got in either.
Wow, thats a breakthrough we have here. I was just naming the most obvious rock bands which people state are 'the best in the world'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarko View Post
Either way, the way these sort of things tend to go is that the obvious ones get in first and eventually everyone starts branching out with their nominations.
Yep which I disagree with as I dont think it should be based on the 'biggest, most commercial, most well known (or over hyped IMO)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCellarTapes View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head, its very much in its infancy at the minute, and the left field names are starting to filter through.
I have no doubt that this Hall of Fame thing will (if not already) develop into something very useful as time goes on.
The thing about this comment though is that it is so blatantly obvious, you wouldnt even actually have to be into music to make that prediction.
I mean when you hear the term 'big names' do you really think they aint gonna get in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote