Music Banter - View Single Post - Strength / Weakness
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #37 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
King Crimson
Strengths: Incredibly innovative, having always been ahead of the curve musically over almost everyone else while retaining their signature heaviness. Robert Fripp is the best textural guitarist on the planet, and despite the many break-ups and lineup changes over the last 40 years have never sacrificed good songwriting for the sake of commercial success.

Weaknesses: The various lineup changes and break-ups, lack of stylistic consistency beyond one or two traits, some weak material in the late 80's, seeming inability to get someone above and beyond decent as a vocalist. (sorry Belew ^^)
I'm not crazy about Wettons vocals, but I like Belew and Lakes vocals a lot.

Plus they didn't really have any material in the late 80s, I think Discipline and Three of a Perfect Pair is among their best work. Beat was pretty average though.

Quote:
Ozric Tentacles
Strengths: Have the uncanny gift of being able to hypnotize you as you listen to them. Their sound, combining elements of every entrancing form of psychedelia, dub, ambient and electronica known to man is inhumanely effective at locking your mind into a groove without the aid of psychoactive stimulants. They also aren't owned by some corporate shitbag label and yet have still managed to sell over a million albums in less than two decades. No annoying frontman drama either, as the Ozrics are an instrumental group.

Weaknesses: Lack of particularly noticeable/visible growth in style between releases. Once you own one or two of these guys records, you've pretty much heard it all.
I wouldn't go that far, they show a lot of versatility and even if they've made a trademark sound out of their mix of psychedelia, ambient and dub. But I wouldn't call this band of all bands repetitive. It's just their trademark sound. They may not be constantly changing styles per album like King Crimson, but that doesn't mean they're not being progressive. Though I agree that they have the talent to stretch out a little more.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote