Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #185 (permalink)
gotjuice
Rose City til I die!

Alright well I'm nearing the end of my initial listen, and overall I enjoyed it. I can legitimately say I've never heard anything really of this particular style or genre. I'll also agree with 4ZZZ that this is definitely a mood album, but that doesn't diminish its impact or beauty.

With the constant introduction of new instruments or effects, I never really found myself bored with the album. I don't really think it fully hits its stride until the third song though, Patron Saint for Troubled Men. Up until that point I was kind of hesitant with the first two tracks, but that was the point where the album got my attention, and it never really let go after that. Phantom Rings is weird in a completely kickass way. I loved the minute and a half interlude-track Welsh Harp. The album ends with a major bang too, with the distorted Hand of Reign and the applicably titled Sung Into Your Brightening Skull.

I enjoyed the first playthrough of this one, but it definitely feels like one that will take several listens for it to finally click. At the moment though I'd give it a 7/10. The Mice Parade gets a 9/10, I'm enjoying that one a little too much I think. Looking forward to the next one.
gotjuice is offline   Reply With Quote