Music Banter - View Single Post - What sub genre do you hate?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #77 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Heh, I don't consider PT prog metal but if they are than they're the only one I'm crazy about.

There are good prog metal bands. Pain of Salvation and Riverside are pretty sweet. But the bigger prog metal bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning and Queensryche? Blegh.

Perhaps it was ignorant of me to say "most" of it sucks, probably more fair to say that about half of it sucks. Mainly the older stuff. There's some newer bands now that are actually doing some really creative things.
Old scool Fate's Warning was bomb (1st 3 albums especially No Exit) everything after that sucked, but I hate Dream Theater, never heard of Symphony X and could go either way on Queensryche again their early stuff was great, but I would consider bands like Opeth and Mastodon to be prog metal and I love both of them.
Wasn't trying to say PT was prog metal. I was saying they were contemporary prog and I don't like them. Too overproduced & synthy sounding for my tastes, which is what I find from most post 70's prog bands.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote