Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Nice review. I love this album, and I, too, have always been partial to this song - especially the part you posted. I don't know if this is the ULTIMATE AIC song, but we'll settle for the ultimate on Jar of Flies. I'm glad that you recognized J.C the way you did. I don't think he gets enough props for what he does. I mean come on, he ****ing opened for NICKLEBACK! What kind of ass-backwards world do we live in. Most people don't even care to listen to AIC anymore because Layne is gone. Surely he had an amazing voice, but I've seen them twice with William Duvall (the new AIC guy) and it's almost eerie how similar he sounds. They are currently working on an album! I can't wait!!
Oh man, I could have gone without knowing that. What the hell is the world coming to?

Hey thats pretty awesome you've seen them twice. I would still love to go see them now anyway, even without Layne. It would have been better, but hey, thats just the way things go. It would be worth it just to see Jerry Cantrell. I didn't know they were working on an album, I'm curious, I'll have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
I used to play classic rock covers with my brothers and sister when we were kids. "Highway Song" was a staple for ending sets (yes, we played "Freebird", too.) "Highway Song" was always a favorite song of mine as a little guy. Unfortunately, having played the song 100+ times in my life, it has lost its impact for me somewhat. Your description was excellent. And now that I've journeyed into music to such extremes that I have, coming back to a tune like "Highway Song" always takes me back. I sound like an old ****er because of this, but I have been in a band since I was 11. I'm 22 now, so its been half my life. Other tidbits that we covered and you might be familiar with include, but are not limited to: "Roadhouse Blues", "American Band", "War Pigs", "Sweet Home Alabama", and "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World".

Yet another band that my siblings and I covered a lot of songs from (although a little bit later when we got into puberty). Alice in Chains was my favorite band for basically my entire childhood. "Don't Follow" was my favorite song from Jar of Flies after I played "No Excuses" to death. I think "Don't Follow"'s effect is doubly strong due to the fact that it follows the instrumental "Wale and Wasp". We never did cover "Don't Follow", but the six or so songs by AIC that we did cover I think made up for it.
Wow, thats a pretty good story you got there. You guys must have been quite the musicians to be able to tackle Highway Song and some of the others you listed. What part do you play in the band?

Yeah I'm familiar with all those classics. I would love to hear your covers. I have been trying to learn "Roadhouse Blues" on my harmonica but I am finding it extremely difficult. Bending notes does not come naturally for me, I'm afraid, haha. I agree with you on the great lineup of "Whale & Wasp" and "Don't Follow". Jar of Flies was quite an album.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote