Music Banter - View Single Post - Diversify Your Vocabulary
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Default Diversify Your Vocabulary

A while ago I was taken aback by a young boy at the bowling alley. He couldn't have been older than 11. And he was shouting the usual profanities in the company of either his older brother or his parents. You know, "Fuck! Shit! Mother Fucker! God Damn it!".

Now, in a more reflective state of mind I would have let this go as I am no one to judge a child of his attitude because I was no different at his age. But I drink when I bowl and I was in the moment. I decided to help this boy.

I approached him after a rather fervent rash of cussing and suggested that instead of using words like "fuck" or "shit", he switch to terms like "Curses!" or "Blast!". And this invited a change in me as well. I decided to switch it up a little bit. After all, to me, cuss words have become far too easy.

Any fool can blast out with a heartfelt or raunchy, "Fuck!" when they do something clumsy, but to here somebody shout, "Drats!! Thwarted again!". You expect to find a man in a white lab coat and black rimmed glasses.

That's why I suggest that we all make a conscious effort to diversify the vocabulary that we regularly use. Not necessarily for the kids, fuck the kids. Just for us. Be imaginative! Have fun! That way, when you fuck up, you don't take it nearly as serious.

That is all.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote