Music Banter - View Single Post - What languages can you speak?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Default What languages can you speak?

Despite choosing the 'maths' route and studying software engineering, language has always been a big passion of mine. In fact, I didn't take any computing subjects at high school. Instead I took French and Latin and competed in French speaking contests.

Sadly I haven't had much time to pursue lingual interests since high school, though I did start learning Russian last year. In order to refresh my French, I've been reading some novels and trying to understand the French version of the Office. I regret not taking any Chinese papers at uni and I envy those born into an environment where multilingualism is a requirement. For me, reading/writing/speaking come fairly easily but I struggle with listening.

So this thread is for the discussion of language (both native and foreign) whether you are bilingual/trilingual by upbringing/compulsion, have studied a foreign language at school and liked/disliked it, are learning a new language for travel/business/pleasure, are studying linguistics or are simply fascinated by language in general.