Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #2163 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I have no idea how well regarded or not they are on this particular board (though the "Official Led Zeppelin Thread" has over 10,000 views so they can't be too unpopular),
An overwelming amount of posts on that thread is negative. And again, they're only popular among the non-regulars. It's also non-regulars who come here to make threads about Creed and Disturbed, I wouldn't take their opinions at face value.

Quote:
but I wasn't just talking about this board, I was talking about in general. My reasons for thinking they're overrated have nothing to do with MB, they have to do with all the millions of people who say things like they're "the greatest hard rock band ever". What on earth would make you think I was making a specific comment about MB?
Because you were responding to a MB poster who was expressing his opinion?

It goes without saying that Zeppelin get too much exposure from the media, but you could say that about everyone from The Beatles to Hendrix, you shouldn't have to discredit a band simply for being very damn popular. And I really hate it how people try to make it out how when people (like me) who listen to a lot of music that just happens to be really popular it means we only like it because it's popular and have never been exposed to the "wonderful sonic soundscapes" of unsigned bands like Ham Radio Donuts and Negro Egg Roll from Buttf*ck Nowhere, Idaho.

I'm not accusing you of being like that, but I hate that kind of attitude and I get it a lot from Zep haters.

The critics also hype stuff like The Jonas Brothers, so it dosen't matter what they think. For me to consider a band to be overrated they have to get a lot of serious praise from critics and music fans, and that only makes them overrated when you think they don't deserve it and of course I think they do, so it's all subjective there.

Like AC/DC they also have their fair share of passionate anti-fanboys. It's very hard for me to find any positive comments about them on this forum from a member that has more than 50 posts.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.