Music Banter - View Single Post - Ashes to Ashes: A reintroduction to my personal music library
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Transformer

Album #14: Transformer(1972)
Lou Reed
Genre: Glam Rock
Dedicated to MB Member: Right Track

Side one
1. "Vicious"
2. "Andy's Chest"
3. "Perfect Day"
4. "Hangin' 'Round"
5. "Walk on the Wild Side"

Side two
6. "Make Up"
7. "Satellite of Love"
8. "Wagon Wheel"
9. "New York Telephone Conversation"
10. "I'm So Free"
11. "Goodnight Ladies"

”Vicious, you want me to hit you with a stick. But all I’ve gots a guitar pick, baby you’re so vicious.” Sometimes you just have to let the lyrics speak for themselves. These Andy Warhol inspired leftovers are typical of those found on Reed’s most notorious solo album. Lou Reed was never one to spend too much time concerning himself with lyrics, he was too busy being cool. The entire Transformer album is filled with absurd senseless lyrics delivered by Reed in that sort of “toss it aside” manner he was so notorious during his days with the VU. “Andy’s Chest”, originally recorded with the VU before the breakup, is one of the albums highlights, featuring those trademark lyrics and a ghastly chorus.
Side one closes with “Walk on the Wild Side”, perhaps the song Reed is best known for today by casual fans. David Bowie, who co-produced the album pegged it as a hit from the starting citing its interesting and macabre lyrics and the smooth slow infectious bass line. This is how Reed related to his listeners; story telling in a song and keeping the listening attention means the lyrics have to be delivered first in manner that transcends the music and also grabs the listeners’ attention. “Satellite of Love” another, though less through the years, popular song from the album, features a softer more melodic piano driven rhythm and really has a Bowie influence to it. Especially the fantastic bridge\outro portion of the song.
A n overall fantastic album that may now be underrated because it had for so long been overrated, if that makes any sense. A personal favorite of mine is the unreasonable “Wagon Wheel” which is as fun as any song and includes the line “…just kick her in the head and rearrange her…” The guitar work on this album by co-producer Mick Ronson, while typically subtle, is on point throughout. Bowie does limited backing vocals for the album as well. Every song is interesting and individual and you’d expect nothing less from Reed. It’s his signature voice that ties them together of course along with the just right backing vocals and the evocative early 70’s guitar sound. “I’m so Free” is another favorite of mine. The poppy penultimate track paves the way for the appropriately bizarre finale a midway promenade inspired arrangement of “Goodnight Ladies” that is as charming as it is alarming. Thanks to Right-Track for starting the Velvet Underground thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 05-13-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote