Music Banter - View Single Post - Hip-Hop Outside North America
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Default Hip-Hop Outside North America

Hip-Hop is one of the most prevalent genres of music that can be found all around the world. It's not surprising by any means, I mean when it's stripped down of the production value, it's poetry to a beat. Despite the fact that it's so wide spread, so many people are unaware of what is beyond North America which is a shame because there are some extremely talented musicians who have yet to pierce our market. Seeing as how we have a good amount of people on this forum from outside North America I'm hoping this could become an educational thread to help us expand our horizon. I'll be the first to recommend two artists:

Firstly Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip

Traditional rap group, one DJ (Dan Le Sac) and one MC (Scroobius Pip) from Stanford-le-Hope in Engalnd. Incredibly intelligent songs matched with well made beats that really fit the songs. Their 2008 debut "Angles" was one of my favorite albums of that year. I'm not sure what their popularity is like in the U.K. but they're practically unknown here in the U.S. and Canada. The video below is their most well known songs "Thou Shalt Always Kill", I also have their album uploaded so if anyone wants to listen to the full thing (I highly recommend it) just send me a PM.

Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip's Last.FM

The other group is one I actually found from this forum called The Herd from Sydney Australia. I found these guys from my Live Band Hip Hop thread that kind of... fizzled out unfortunately. Really got into these guys, specifically the album "The Sun Never Sets". Great instrumental parts and well written, meaningful lyrics.

The Herd's Last.FM

I have a few other groups, but I want to see what becomes of this thread, I don't want to waste my time if it never takes off. So please, if you know of someone from outside North America, please expose them.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote