Music Banter - View Single Post - Slowly Goes The Night
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #88 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Sunday’s Slave

I feel like **** most weekends, which is why I never do weekend reviews. However, that doesn’t mean I still don’t feel like sharing, so I decided to do a random Youtube hunt for weekends. I have always felt the Tender Prey song ‘Sunday’s Slave’ was apt after an evening of drinking or for NFL games. Either way, it contained a weekend day so I adopted it for this (Yes, I know it isn't Sunday yet). I might open up with a Nick Cave song weekly just as some continuity.

Chances are the videos I bring up won’t be for albums that I review or intend to review; just random videos that I feel like sharing (And in all likelihood are from my favourite bands that everyone knows about).

Long Time Man (Live ’86) by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds

Originally written by 60’s Singer Song Writer Tim Rose, The Seeds variation offers up some much better moments. Laden with emotion, this live version was recorded with the Seeds consisting of Cave, Harvey and Blixa only. The group recorded a studio cover of the song for the album ‘Your Funeral… My Trial’, along with other classics such as the title track and ‘Stranger Than Kindness’. Cave’s vocal performance is closer to the ‘The Birthday Party’ days, lacking the cleaner sound he adopted in future years. The sounds quality isn’t amazing, and for some reason there is an extra 4 minutes on the video of silence, but it is worth a listen. I probably prefer it to the studio version released.

Demain Berlin by Guerre Froide

Some post punk/coldwave from 1981 French band, Guerre Froide. Apparently it was a dancefloor hit along with another one of their songs from their 12” self titled or untitled EP (Two versions were released). It’s interesting, I don’t really love it, but it’s nicely constructed, and the vocals are ‘perfectly’ nonchalant and removed for the coldwave genre. A nice bass line throughout.

The ChurchSometime Anywhere

Lost My Touch

Loveblind

Back to back tracks from The Church’s 1994 release ‘Sometime Anywhere’. The album was my second favourite behind its preceding album, but is still full of great tracks.

Ending Theme by Nobuo Uematsu

This comes off one of 2-3 albums that actually got me into music. The soundtrack to the PS2 game Final Fantasy X, whilst containing all you would expect from a video game soundtrack, was amazing for me at it’s release, and brings back so many great memories. Uematsu was great, and does get acknowledged around here occasionally (namely Molecules for the FF7 soundtrack) but unfortunately he has left the company that made the games. In itself, it is fairly simple, and nothing overly special on its own, but I remember it for more than just the music. It was the ending theme to a great game.

The Carnival Is Over by Dead Can Dance

The Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove
(Live ’05) by Dead Can Dance

Two of my favourite DCD songs from their entire category, both from the amazing ‘Into The Labyrinth’. Lovegrove is a more recent live take that maintains the original gothic feeling, and shows that Perry has as much going for him as he did in the 80’s and 90’s. Carnival is in its classic form with an awesome directorial job. Both are definitely worth a listen if you are thinking of extending your DCD collection.

4 Ton Mantis by Amon Tobin

Chances are you have heard this. However, if you haven’t here is a morsel off Tobin’s 2000 release, ‘Supermodified’. It isn’t his best album, but it does have some treats on it.

Summer 78 by Yann Tiersen

Top quality song from Goodbye Lenin! from another favourite contemporary classical artist. When Tiersen performs live he adopts a more electrical sound, and comes off post rockish which annoys me because I prefer his folky classical stuff to the electrical stuff he produces. But, you can't really complain when he makes so much quality music. Just wish he would stop recycling half of it for his next soundtrack.

I started with some of my favourite artists and will probably branch out from there. I will also chuck any other random music things in here that don't deserve their own posts.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by Zarko; 07-26-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote