Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #723 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
U know there's great in both countries definitely and crap in both countries too. I mean we can't really do Jazz but we kick ass at Blues Rock. Our Hip hop is virtually non existent but we excel at Prog. I used to have more bias towards British music but it's split now I think.

I still think though for such a small nation we have had some absolutely brilliant, iconic and influential music.
With the possible exception of blues rock I totally agree with all of this including the fact that Britain has an amazing number of fantastic bands for its size. I also think the you guys completely kick our ass in the goth, trip-hop and psychedelic departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Comus commented on Europe too and you cannot underestimate Krautrock which was a massive influence on Electronica and then you have some absolutely subliminal music from Africa and the Caribbean.
I think beyond just krautrock, which I like a lot, Germany has been responsible for a ton of great music over the years. And yeah with out a doubt some amazing stuff from the Caribbean and the whole continent of Africa. Not to mention South America and Asia.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote