Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #736 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Wait, what?

The one thing that we can't touch the brits on at all is prog, we had Zappa and now we have TMV and Tool but that's pretty much it for American prog, and Canada has Rush and Harmonium. Many of the biggest and best prog bands if not from the UK, come from other European countries like Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands and Sweden. It's a very European thing.
boo boo,

Don't forget Canada also had Saga - the band that cause a riot in Puerto Rico, and The Musical Box the mind blowing Genesis tribute band.

Even though America didn't have Progressive Rock, I would say our counterpart to Prog which did a lot of jamming would be Southern Rock - The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Outlaws, and then there are bands mixed genres like The Grateful Dead, & Chicago. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying Southern Rock is Prog, it's just the fact they both love the long jam. It's just that US band had other musical territories they wanted to explore. Probably the only time USA and the Uk were on the same page was during the British Invasion. And after The Beatles broke up, the UK had bands the US couldn't touch and the US had bands the UK couldn't touch and maybe it was a good thing they stop touching each.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote