Music Banter - View Single Post - synthesizers
Thread: synthesizers
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
yeah but i'm thinking more in terms of bands that incorporate synths into rock music. would you use the same sound as the eurythmics did on 'sweet dreams' and not expect everyone to go 'oh. that sound'.

it's not so much that people get bent out of shape as much as a different view on why people play synths. with my circle of friends it was always about being able to create a new and unique sound. it's not to say they never used presets but when they did it was only a base element and then modified to become a relatively unique sound.

basically, is the synth being used as a sound effect generator or an instrument? if it's just going to able subtleties to the background then who cares what preset or patch you use. if you're going to be doing lead work, then i think it's a safe expectation to have synth playing peers tear it apart if it's cliche.

like the example you provided earlier about certain classic guitar / amp / effect combos to get the same 'sound' as an idol. when you see a strat a wah and a marshall on a stage do you think 'oh sweet! something fresh and unique!' or just kind of roll your eyes at yet another wannabe hendrix when they inevitably kick into some e minor pentatonic blues licks. while the average fan usually doesn't notice, pretty much ALL the guitar players do. why would synth players be any different?
I guess it really depends on the perspective.
I don't pass off musicians as wannabe's if they're using a known tone as long as it's being used creatively and in context with the music they're playing.
Music itself can be fresh and unique while using creative combinations of standard tones. It is not a requirement that all sounds involved must be new and unheard in order for the music, as a whole, to be fresh.
If you're going to discount a musician for using the same setup as Hendrix or whoever, then you may as well go ahead and discount anyone who uses distortion, reverb, delay, wah, etc. in any particular series.
What I'm talking about is not the same thing as a musician PLAYING like Hendrix AND using his tones. There's a huge difference.

Anyway, if you're referring to rock bands that incorporate synths in their music, I challenge you to point out a synth being used that isn't a standard configuration in basic synthesis. If some synth snob ragged on me for using a square saw running through comb filters and distortion, I'd have to laugh at his ignorance.

It's not only the sound itself, it's also how you use it.