Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #154 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95 View Post
By the way I just watched the DVD, was on for about 3-4 hours man! was up mostly all night watching it, although intended to as I'm on nightshift tonight anyway. I found it very interesting to learn his biggest influence was 'Woody Guthrie' & that he went to visit him when he was ill. A
Also another thing I found interesting was the 'folk pureists' who booed him when he went electric as in my opinion he should be praised for embracing two different styles of music.

Anyway overall a very well made, well informative, excellent film.
It has actually changed my view of his early folkier works, which I wasnt too into in the past & will probably dig out for re-listening.

All In All ,like you said, a 'great watch.
There was something strangely satisfying about the fans who said 'he's doing what he wants - if you don't like it you can lump it' (or something along those lines). I'm actually more a fan of his electric work myself - it's a personal taste thing. As I said earlier in the thread, I'm no huge fan of Dylan on the whole. I still like his early 'pure folk' material (for want of a better phrase), just not as much as the later stuff. Having watched the film though has made me curious enough to get hold some of it when I can though, and that's partly what makes it such a good documentary.

Very interesting film - even if he's not quite one of my favourite artists, he's got some fascinating stories to tell.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote