Music Banter - View Single Post - Dig Out An Oldie Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Iron Maiden-Killers (1981)

By far my favourite of the Di'anno studio releases Killers has massive nostalgia value to me but even without that nostalgia clouding my judgement it is still a damn fine metal album and it marks the beginning of the classic Maiden sound a lot more than their debut (Phantom of The Opera notwithstanding).

The breakdown and dueling guitars in the instrumental 'Genghis Khan' illustrate this perfectly as does Martin Birch's production which was the start of a brilliant partnership that graced the bands most successful period in the 80's. There is also a rawness on this album that Birch couldn't quite polish off on this album which is a plus and not a hindrance.

Clive burrs drumming (and sound) is much more preferable than replacement Mc Brains and Adrian Smith entering the fray added some glorious guitar harmony's. then of course we have the cover. It's still cool as fuck nearly 30 years on. Many fans prefered the debut in the Di'anno period and have high praise for their breakout album 'The Number Of The Beast' but the energy, riffs and attitude will always make this my favourite of their early releases.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote