Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wipers, why do I never see discussion of this great band
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyshape View Post
Now this may seem off topic (and actually related to another thread that no one seemed to answer) but are the wipers simply overlooked rather than underrated because of the few people who do know who the wipers are, almost unanimously love them? Errr so confusing if you do answer try to give a good explanation this is very annoying and is bugging my OCD.
I dont know about that, not everybody who has listened to The Wipers loves them - Sam is a prime example - in fact i know quite a few people who dislike them. That is why i think they're underrated, not because nobody has heard them, but because they dont generate the praise i think they deserve.

I personally think they were one of the most important and talented punk bands, their use of distortion and tight, at the time unusual song structures were influential to later alternative and grunge musicians. The fact they lacked the pop hooks appeals to me also, dont get me wrong, i love a good hook, but The Wipers just seemed more threatening and intense then most of the other early purveyors of punk.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote