Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's album reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
yeah, that's kind of exactly what i'm doing, haha

but yeah, i never knew that about EXP, it just seemed like a straight freak-out track to me. i'll give it another listen

and how did i forget about the wah wah on Up From the Skies? crap i feel stupid now, haha

and kinda sucks how noel got put on the backburner, i always thought he and Jimi were good friends

yeah and i think One Rainy Wish is really overlooked not only in how you said, but as it also showed a somewhat different side of Hendrix to me

oh and bold as love, <3. that's all i gotta say
my bad hehe i misinterpreted you last night.

you're right about EXP though, it is just a freakout track. it's just that journalists back in 67/68 had to figure out some way of describing what they had just heard hehe.

the wah on 'up from the skies' is subtle, it's one of the few tracks where he uses it in that fashion. it's easy to overlook if you've already heard his bigger hits and who's going to be listening to hendrix album tracks without having heard 'all along the watchtower' or 'voodoo chile' first?

and yeah 'the experience' wasn't exactly the shiny happy hippie vehicle a lot of people think. mitch mitchell and hendrix WERE great friends as evidenced by his continued drumming in the post experience days. it was also very clear in an old bbc documentary i caught in the late 90s about the recording of 'electric ladyland'. at one point they're getting comments from redding and mitchell, noel seems almost annoyed at having to talk about how great hendrix was 'again' and then there's mitchell struggling with his emotions as he talks about a lost friend. plus that doesn't even touch on the shady backroom contracts and BS the suits were pulling behind the scenes or so the stories go.

just a little comment about that foo fighters disc

from what i remember grohl had been working on that album for a while before nirvana ended. it was just something he'd do to keep himself busy while on tour. pretty sure everything you hear on the disc is him. it's not something that started after nirvana so much as something that got delayed because of how the band ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote