Music Banter - View Single Post - Ashes to Ashes: A reintroduction to my personal music library
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #56 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Bookends

Album #18: Bookends (1968)
Simon and Garfunkel
Genre: Folk Rock
Dedicated to MB Member: Proggy Man

Side one
1. "Bookends Theme"
2. "Save the Life of My Child"
3. "America"
4. "Overs"
5. "Voices of Old People"
6. "Old Friends"
7. "Bookends"

Side two
1. "Fakin' It"
2. "Punky's Dilemma"
3. "Mrs. Robinson"
4. "A Hazy Shade of Winter"
5. "At the Zoo"

In 2006 when Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel put their past differences behind them and teamed up for a reunion tour which was not to be missed, it reminded a lot of us of old friends and maybe one particular between you and them has grown a wall, a grudge held. Their dialog, though scripted surely was sincere throughout the performance. At one point following a strong ovation Garfunkel remarks “It’s easy to sing when the songs are so good”; there is a moral to the story but anymore on that from this point would be redundant.
The first song on the album is the second track “Save the Life of my child” which feels like a Beatles song from the same era except much better written. There is an eerie brilliance within the chorus of this track which is perfectly apropos to kick off an album that is a perfect example of what makes Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel one of the best musical duos of all-time. The aforementioned “America”, maybe their best song, “Fakin’ It” and their less heralded original composition of “Hazy Shade of Winter” are among my favorite of their collective works. I’ll be the first one to admit that , even now as I am one, “Voices of Old People” does not make sense to me included amongst this album, yet it certainly does not ruin anything as some have opined. In addition to my tastes, “At the Zoo” and the famous “Mrs. Robinson” are among their most popular singles ever. Cu-cu-ca-choo indeed.
There are some slow parts to be sure, but they only serve to better amplify the energetic and poetic highlights of the album. The super smooth, super cool “Fakin’ it” is a shining example of Simon and Garfunkel at their most fun and best. Do you thin Jesus Loves you more then you will know? Question: What do the Bangles and Simon and Garfunkel have in common? Answer: **** the Bangles. Add this one to the song vs. song list Jackhammer. The cover is hazy shade of decent when compared to the original. This album is a perfect place to start if you’re not that familiar with the duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote