Music Banter - View Single Post - Soloing Techniques
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Blue
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
this would likely simply result in you being a clone of the teacher. you don't need a teacher to sound like a pro. if you require the aid of a teacher for more than learning the basic elements of an instrument you're likely going to have difficulty progressing as a true musician as opposed to another guitarist.

my technique for jazz soloing is to play along to jazz tracks that do not feature guitar. play along to the horns, create a rhythm to accompany the piano parts, etc. you'll develop a much more fulfilling and unique style using that approach.

ultimately it really just depends on whether or not you want to develop your own voice or parrot someone else's. the people you see on stage are NOT 'soloing like professionals', they're simply 'soloing'.
I don't necessarily agree. You can have a teacher and learn and understand music more through things they can pass to you without you just mimicking them; you can take the musical ideas of what it is they're doing and use them in your own manner to suit your own musical voice. I also don't think having a teacher means you're going to have more trouble advancing as a musician. If you get a good, experienced teacher, they can show you things you wouldn't have thought of, and introduce you to new ways to approach things, as well as hashing out things you need to be able to do to be a "professional musician."

In terms of jazz soloing, you generally should play with a vertical approach and follow the changes. You can do as Satchmo said and do arpeggios, or you can expand a bit and add the other notes of the scale around the arpeggios as passing tones. I guess one of the keys is trying to get your chord tones to land on the down beats and the passing notes to land on the upbeats so you more or less form the sound of the chord without even having the chord being played. For example, in a jazz blues, it sounds great if you use mixolydian scales on the I/IV/V dominant chords, but you can also highlight the other possible changes with their own suiting scales or arpeggios.

Edit - I don't mean to imply you need a teacher by the way, but I don't think it instantly means something negative or you're just going to be a carbon copy. A good teacher can be very helpful.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote