Music Banter - View Single Post - Best place to self teach guitar?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Blue
Music Addict

The internet is incredibly helpful, whether you're using google, youtube, or anything really; there's a lot of information on techniques, theory, and everything else you're looking for in terms of actual music knowledge (finding your own voice is your own pursuit though).

One thing I will say though: tabs can be helpful yes (especially at first), but if that is your mainstay on how you learn, I think you could get yourself in troubles in some ways. Your ears are the most important part, and it's best if you train yourself to learn simply with them. Eventually you really realize how much everything really overlaps and it's really not too hard because a lot of music uses really simple musical concepts. I guess I just feel that mimicking some numbers on a tab doesn't help your musical knowledge in any sense, because you're not understanding anything, you're just mimicking and memorizing. I think it's best if you go about it to understand what it is you're playing. Not that you have to learn the theory behind it per say (though that definitely helps), but so that you actually have some basis of musical knowledge. For example, Hendrix didn't know "theory," as theory I don't think, he just had great musical knowledge. In a sense he was using theory (just like anyone who plays guitar is, whether you know it or not), but he didn't know it as some textbook form of theory; it was simple musical understanding if that makes sense.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote