Music Banter - View Single Post - Soloing Techniques
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I don't necessarily agree. You can have a teacher and learn and understand music more through things they can pass to you without you just mimicking them; you can take the musical ideas of what it is they're doing and use them in your own manner to suit your own musical voice. I also don't think having a teacher means you're going to have more trouble advancing as a musician. If you get a good, experienced teacher, they can show you things you wouldn't have thought of, and introduce you to new ways to approach things, as well as hashing out things you need to be able to do to be a "professional musician."
i suppose it depends on perspective and why an individual searches for a teacher. it also depends on the teacher and their own ability to teach rather than instruct.

in a situation like this one where the issue is presented in a sense of 'someone tell me the dots to connect in order to draw this shape' then i firmly believe that individual will end up as a clone. they lack the attitude to go it alone. i'm not getting the impression an impasse was reached and a desire to expand ones perspective on music is at play.

as for the techniques i think a lot of it has to do with whether or not one wants to play more traditional 'smooth' jazz and just cheese out that same tired melody or if they want to go out there and hook onto the 'free' stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote