Music Banter - View Single Post - Clapton, Beck, Page vs Hendrix, Gibbons, Vaughn
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
5-Track
Music Addict

Clapton was a progenitor of the British Blues Boom and gets props for that if nothing else... Cream used to entertain me but the only thing of theirs I can handle anymore is the BBC sessions... Derek And The Dominoes were great, especially live, but only in certain moods, and I think Eric managed one good solo record.

SRV redefined the blues for the "modern" age and made some great discs on the way but ultimately the wave of copycats was nauseating.

Jimi died too soon to fully realize his vision - we will all be picking up the pieces for decades to come, if not centuries, and not just guitar players.

Buddy Guy's SWEET TEA moves me deeply.

Marc Ribot has more soul in his little finger than most "blues" players.

Likewise Neil Hagerty.

Jeff Beck does some cool things, but rarely am I drawn back to listen to him. I have picked up some great technique from Jeff Beck, right hand ideas and twang bar possibilities, and his sense of tone, what he can do with a strat marshall and wah, is ineffable.

How about the gent from Flower Travellin' Band? Asian blues, but blues nonetheless.