Music Banter - View Single Post - Life After Death
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #130 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I don't disagree with that. My point was, I don't care what it tells us about people, it doesn't tell us anything about an afterlife. Looking at this psychologically isn't going to give you anything.

The only thing that I would think has some bearing of a posthumous in the psychological area is that humans are hard wired for "religion." Now I can't imagine how an entire portion of a brain grows to recognize something that, as far as some posters here are concerned, doesn't exist.

And with regard to the "soul" problem presented a few posts back, dicuss what you'd like, but just because I don't believe that a Christian afterlife exists, doesn't mean i don't think an afterlife exists.
To me, looking at the psychological aspect of it does two things:
1, as we made apparent, it tells us about people's relationship with a fear-based desire for continuity.
As you said, that doesn't tell us anything about an afterlife itself. (at first glance)
But 2, looking at 1 generally and logically, you shine a light on the naturally occurring assumption that because of this situation between people and fear of death; the afterlife was created in the mind as a way to reconcile it.

It's sort of using one parameter to define another based on the relationship between those two parameters. Obviously we have a more solid foundation when weighing the psychological factors as opposed to supposition independent of them.

All I'm saying is there are ways to accurately draw conclusions based on psychological relationships. Of course, with the nature of what we're discussing here, each one of us only gets one chance to test our theories, and even then, it won't help anyone else.