Music Banter - View Single Post - Maudlin Of The Well- Part The Second
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I'm really impressed by this so far. This is the first album I've heard by these guys, though I've heard Kayo Dot's Choirs of the Eye twice so far and not been impressed either time. I think that album will take several more listens to appreciate...if at all. Anyway back to this. I downloaded the torrent from the band's site when Comus first posted about it in some other thread...and played it the other day. Yet somehow I only managed to get the three middle tracks, and didn't realize it till I was playing it and happened to be looking at the tracklist somewhere online. I realized there was a problem. But I kept playing anyway, and was impressed. It's very subtle, and I was surprised by the chamber sound for some reason. So as soon as I got home that day I re-downloaded the full album (this time the zip) and played the whole thing earlier today. It's quite nice for sure. Really beautiful. I was expecting some artsy jazzy metal or something but what I got was basically chamber prog. Not that genre matters, it just wasn't what I was expecting. It's better than what I was expecting, in a way. I'm anxious to get more familiar with it...and eventually check out their other stuff.