Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands you hate that everyone else loves
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #154 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comus View Post
I don't care about RHCP to make any form of judgment about them. I like a lot of music the beatles influenced, like Eletric Light Orchestra, but prog rock was more of a mix of blues, jazz and classical, with a nice bit of psychedelia thrown in. It would have happened without the Beatles.
WRONG!

The Beatles were a vital influence on the genre and the other bands who influenced it as well. When The Moody Blues created Days of Future Past, whose example do you think they were following?

Discrediting The Beatles by pointing out the other influences is again, a straw man. I didn't say anything about them being more important than the other influences on prog, I'm saying they played a major part in influencing the genre and making it what it is. If there was no classical, prog wouldn't be what it is, if there was no jazz, prog wouldn't be what it is.

But the idea behind prog was that it mixed classical, jazz and folk influences with ROCK influences, but what kinda rock do you think that was? Not Chuck Berry or Little Richard.

If there was no Sgt. Pepper. Prog wouldn't be what it is, at all. That's a fact. None of the classic bands would have the sound they had, they all got a good chunk of it from The Beatles.

Prog may have been around without The Beatles but it would have SUCKED and wouldn't be the prog that we know. The Beatles esque melodies and harmonies is what seperated prog bands like Yes and Genesis from avant garde rock bands.

Quote:
It might not have been as popular if the other big band hadn't gone psychedelic, but it would have been there. Also "hearing the beatles" could be said just the same of any of the other bands similar to the of the era.

King Crimson respected the beatles, and Happy Family is one of my favourites from Lizard, but just because they like them doesn't mean I have to. I used to like the Beatles for quite awhile, but I can't listen to them now becuase I'd just much rather be listening to something interesting.
Yeah, like Joanna Newsom whining incoherently like a constipated siamese cat and that's great and all but that doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful to the roots of what you listen to and spread inflamatory lies about a band you just don't happen to like.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote