Music Banter - View Single Post - Scottish Bands/Artists Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Default Scottish Bands/Artists Appreciation Thread

Alrite, seen as I appear to be the only Scot on here, I think it would be appropriate for me to do a thread dedicated to Scottish bands/artists.
(By the way I had actually spent about an hour doing this thread before & then it somehow got lost when I tried to post it....)
I used to hold a pretty negative/mediocre view of Scottish music when I was younger & first getting into music i.e I had only really clued up on the likes of Travis, Proclaimers & Del Amitri.

Big Country are my favourite Scottish band for this song alone (& many others). The riff on this song is just amazing.I love how they create this bagpipe like sound on their guitars.
Long Live Stuart Adamson & its such a shame he died the way he did.

John Martyn is truly a great artist & guitar player. I love how he combined Folk & Jazz music in a way that nobody else could. His music is so distinctive & so is his voice.
I only recentley got into John Martyn a few months ago (sadly he tragically died not long after..) when I purchased his 'Solid Air' album. I also have a lot of his other albums & out of the ones Ive bought I can honestly say Ive never heard a bad album from him yet. 'The Apprentice' & 'Grace & Danger' are my two favourite albums by him. Others I have include 'Inside Out', 'One World' & 'Well Kept Secret'.
This is the first song I ever heard from the first album I bought 'Solid Air'.
I have always found this song very moving & only recentley found out that he had written it for the late Nick Drake who was suffering from depression at the time. I couldnt limit it to one track alone so have tried to narrow it down to a couple.

Another track I simply couldnt leave out:

'A couple' becomes three!

R.I.P John.

I recentley came to appreciate Idlewild after someone gave me a copy of the 'Remote Part' album which i promptly went out and bought for myself.
The thing I love about this band is how you can tell their Scottish just by listening to them (which cant be said for all Scottish bands).
Heres a very good track of theirs:
This is the first song I ever heard from this band and I knew right away I had been missing out on a great band

I dont care what anybody says about them, to me they are national icons.
The Proclaimers, are a great band and musically personify Scotland for me.
This song has been the last track played at pretty much every birthday party/school dance I can just about remember. Also when I used to go see Scotland at Hampden, they play it about 20 times a match (including when we score). Its so lifting to hear 50,000 people singing this song simultaneously. Every time I hear this song it reminds me everything good about Scotland, being Scottish & also brings back a shiitload of memories.

Also heres an insight into what its like to hear this song at Hampden.
I was at this game!! Great atmosphere. Was an excellent game throughout (1-1) until that wee bastard scored right at the end on the 90 mark. Gutted, was still a great game though.

Another two classics I couldnt leave out:

They mention my name in this song! ('Lewis no more') Theyre referring to the Scottish island I was named after!

Another timeless classic I couldnt have left out. It took me a while before I found out they were Scottish though!:

I have always liked Travis but think that everything they did after 'Good Feeling' pales in comparison. I couldnt leave these tracks out though. No matter what they are now, they f*cking rocked in their early days!

F*ck man, I forgot just how good they used to be!

This is a true forgotten classic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.

Last edited by Mirrorball95; 05-23-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote