Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Difference Between Disco and Funk?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
barbarella
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
It's foolish to say they're the same but Funk and Disco artists have had a tendency to crossover to one another. Chic are an example of a band that usually falls into both catagories.

Disco was a black thing before it was hijacked by whitey, it got it's start in black gay nightclubs, and eventually crossed over to latino and white gay nightclubs before going mainstream.

Both focus on a R&B flavored, dancable beats and emphasize rhythm over lead instruments.

The main diffefence is that Funk leans more towards jazz and soul while Disco has more pop to it. Funk tends to have more bass while Disco is more about synths and samples. There's more of a tendency for Disco to rely on samples while Funk employs real instruments. And Funk is a lot more aggressive and raw.

Disco artists had a greater focus on producing music specifically to be played in nightclubs, rather than promoting it through touring. And so tourists gained more from Disco than the artists involved.

I certainly wouldn't call P-Funk Disco in any sense of the word.

Post of the week.
P-Funk!! - Post Of The Week?

I would just like to bring this into the discussion! It was SO huge as a Disco Club Classic!! For me, Chic have always been Disco. Their music is class, but not heavy enough to be Funk.

Below Zero.
barbarella is offline   Reply With Quote