Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's album reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #64 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

Default Reverend Horton Heat-It's Martini Time

Label: Interscope
Release Date: July 2, 1996

Reverend Horton Heat is both the name of the 3 piece band and the pseudonymn of singer/guitarist Jim Heath. This group combines elements of rockabilly, punk, country, as well as other types of music. It's Martini Time is a damn good representation of their sound, which is both fun and tounge in cheek as it is hard rocking. Heath delivers, not only with his distinctive singing style and offbeat lyrics, but with a bombastic guitar style that makes you want to mosh one minute and start a rockabilly band the next. The rhythm section of upright bassist Jimbo Wallace and drummer Scott Churilla are tight as hell and add to the insanity, adding just the right touch to the songs.

In all, I would give this album a 9.3/10, with it's combined ferocity and good time vibes, you can bet your money that you'll have an entertaining ride with this cd. God bless the good reverend

Big Red Rocket of Love-This song is a fast one, with a charging riff and feirce, no nonsense singing. It hits you like a freight train on speed. Then it ends just as quickly as it began.

Slow-This song speaks the truth, somewhat. It goes from slow foot tapping start, switching to a high end riff every few seconds. Jim sings this in a real low, creepy guy kind of tone, like the person your mother told you to stay away from. It ends just as slowly, if you're wondering.

It's Martini Time-The opening guitar lick is soooo good, then it leads into a riding bassline and the song which is really catchy and fun. The solo here starts off really spastic and in the middle is a little more composed. Overall a good effort from the band.

Generation Why-This is a really punkish, galloping song. There's a bit of rockabilly fingerpicking, which makes the song all the more chaotic and angry, if you can believe it.

Slingshot-This is an instrumental, one of two on the album, and one of the best songs on here. It makes me feel like I'm the Roaring 20's, during the Prohibition days, running from the cops who've just raided a speakeasie. good stuff.

Time to Pray-This is a total rock song. There's a real slick singing style on here, and the instrumentation is pretty straightforward.

Crooked Cigarette-A country style song that feels like you just woke up with a hangover, only to open the fridge and grab another beer. This song is alot more reserved and calm than the previous ones.

Rock the Joint-This is pure muhf*ckin' rockabilly, and i'm almost certain it's a cover song.

Cowboy Love-
Quote:
Interracial Cowboy
homo kind of love
uh yeah......kind of a weird thing for these guys to sing about, especially in a country style ballad, slide guitar and all. Even so I like this song.

Now, Right Now-I really enjoy this song, from the singing to the guitar, to the chorus, which is pretty simple:
Quote:
I want it now, right now right now right now right now right now right now
Spell on Me-This takes a tip from some previous songs, although not executed in the best way. It seems like they've slowed down and are dragging their feet a bit. A low point on the album

Or Is It Just Me-This is a slow song with a definate feeling of dread and despair. nuff said.

Forbidden Jungle-The second instrumental, and sort of an unofficial ending for the album (i'll explain later). Really charges in at full force and definately feels like you're in the jungle, Indiana Jones Style.

That's Showbiz-The real ending of the album, but less of a song and more of a spoken word thing. It talks about the pitfalls of the showbiz industry.

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 05-26-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote