Music Banter - View Single Post - The Complete Discography Thread Led Zeppelin
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Meet the Band (Part 1 of 2)

Jimmy Page

Born: January 9, 1944
Instruments Played: acoustic, electric, and pedal steel guitar, banjo, mandolin
Major Song Writing Credits: Page is credited as co-writer of every single Led Zeppelin original with the exception of the following where he is the only credited writer: “Black Mountain Side”, “Dazed and Confused”, “Tangerine, “Bron-Yr-Aur”.

The most charismatic and popular member of the band, his electric guitar riffs have become a trademark of the Zep’s Blues-rock reputation and legacy. Page began his career as a studio musician on lead guitar and quickly developed a reputation as one of the more talented and sought after players of his day. Page was the last surviving member of the original Yardbirds and became the founding member of Led Zeppelin. His creative and intense guitar playing have made him an Icon in Rock & Roll Music and he is widely considered one of the greatest guitarists of all-time. In his pre-Zeppelin days Page contributed to albums by the Kinks, Them, the Rolling Stones and the Who. After initially declining an offer to replace Eric Clapton with the Yardbirds in 1965, Page joined the band a year later replacing then bassist Paul Samwell-Smith and eventually moving to lead guitar alongside Jeff Beck when Chris Dreja moved to bass. Page remained the Yardbirds lead guitar player after Beck left the band and thus filled the same position for the Zep shortly after. He continues to tour as the years go on playing with Plant and the Black Crowes among others; he is the only Zeppelin member twice elected to the rock and roll hall of fame.

John Paul Jones

Born: January 3, 1946
Instruments Played: 4, 5 and 8 string bass guitar, piano, electric piano, organ, keyboards, synths, mandolin, mellotron, harpsichord, recorder
Major Song Writing Credits: Primarily the band’s musical arranger, Jones was a co-writer on more then 20 songs including the primary melody and structure of “Your time is Gonna Come”, “The Lemon Song”, “Celebration Day”, “Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp, “No Quarter” and “Royal Orleans” with John Bonham.

The musical prodigy and mastermind of arrangement and orchestration. Born the son of musicians, J.P Jones is the most underrated member of Led Zeppelin and one of the more underrated musicians of all-time perhaps. Playing in professional bands from the age of 13, Jones rose to prominence in the 1960’s as a musical director for a lot of the psychedelic and early hard rock mainstays of the era. He became a part of the band after phoning Page in reference to filling the spot of bass player for the New Yardbirds at the last minute after Chris Dreja dropped out of the Scandinavian tour. Jones and Page had a history of working with each other is session work and had grown a respect and admiration for each other. It was the grind of arrangement and studio work that lead Jones to seek a more exploratory and regular gig as a member of the Page’s new band. Continuing to expand his repertoire late into his career, Jones has played over 20 different instruments in all on Led Zeppelin’s studio and live albums and continues to draw praise as a respected producer in the industry.

“I was working at the sessions for Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man, and John Paul Jones was looking after the musical arrangements. During a break, he asked me if I could use a bass player in the new group I was forming. He had a proper music trainin, and he had quite brilliant ideas. I jumped at the chance of getting him”

Page on J.P. Jones

Jones on Bass just one year ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 06-22-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote