Music Banter - View Single Post - Don't Ask Don't Tell
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #93 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonace View Post
I believe they want to prevent sexual relationships between soldiers. That is why they keep men and women seperate. Unethical maybe, but it makes practical sense. I don't think people should get their feathers ruffled by this. It's not like there are not *** people currently serving, it's just a policy of keeping your sexual preferences to yourself.
They don't keep men and women separate, except for sleeping quarters obviously. (And also the slowly changing women in combat situation)
In fact, the only relationships that are prohibited between men and women in the armed forces are those between enlisted and officers, and those between non-commissioned officers and lower enlisted in the same unit. For instance: In the Army, as an E-4 or below, you would not be able to get with an E-5 or above.
It's simply a matter of avoiding favoritism within a unit. (which still goes on, both racially and sexually)

The homosexuality issue lies more at the heart of our still prevalent nonacceptance of the concept. When the military is involved with those matters, they are generally "allowed" to be more stringent than civilian life because of the detrimental roles of the men and women comprising such strictly controlled institutions.
Regardless of the obvious contradictory nature of the whole matter in relation to heterosexuals being able to express their sexuality, not to mention how African Americans' involvement in the military became common, we're still able to recognize the fact that it will take some time before this situation is rectified.

I see ourselves as a society becoming more accepting of homosexual rights and I think it's a good thing. I'm willing to bet everything that this whole issue will be resolved in time. All we can do until then is continue to educate people and provide insights into this kind of thing.