Music Banter - View Single Post - Oh yay, another political thread! (Prop 8, gay marriage stuff)
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #337 (permalink)
IamAlejo
Muck Fusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridical Fiction View Post
It's not equality when the homosexual population is denied the right to marry who they want to marry.
I don't understand how that's unclear.

If we think equal rights is only applicable to a particular percentage of the population, then we've got our definition of equality wrong.
If we generally say that no one can marry the same sex, regardless of gender, then we're willfully and knowingly discriminating against homosexuality.
And why is it equal if homosexuals are allowed to marry who they wish but a polygamist wouldn't be able to [which in this case would obviously be multiple people]? If we don't allow it, aren't we willingly discriminating against polygamy? There are no consent or medical reasons for it being illegal, just some sort of religious dogma. I have no idea how you can say that equality should apply to homosexuals and not polygamists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Equating polygamy with homosexuality is just stupid. It's literally the definition of apples and oranges. It isn't a biological condition to only be attracted to/have relationships with multiple partners at the same time all of whom you're legally married to.
I'm not equating the ethics and biology of the two of them at all, I'm equating their status under the law. He stated that it is fine to not have polygamy because it is equal under the law in the sense that no one else is allowed to do it. If that's the case, the same argument can be made for homosexuals in that no one is allowed to marry someone of the same sex under the law. Ta da, equal.

And I'd be very careful with how you define a "biological condition"...what exactly is the sex drive?

Last edited by IamAlejo; 05-27-2009 at 06:16 AM.
IamAlejo is offline   Reply With Quote