Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs The Lord Taught Us - The Works of The Cramps
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Default Songs The Lord Taught Us - The Works of The Cramps

Originating in Sacramento and properly formed in 1976 in New York, The Cramps were the ultimate garage and rockabilly revivalists, rampaging their way through the 1980’s and on into the 90's with an unmatched thirst for creating their own piece of post punk history, something they more than achieved.

They had several line-ups through the years but one thing remained the same, the guitarist Poison Ivy (Kristy Wallace) and the bordering on the deviant and charismatic front man, Lux Interior (Erick Purkhiser).

Initially the pair were brought together because of their love for collecting records, and in particular their passion for the forgotten acts of the 1950’s and 1960’s. As a band they paid homage to the time of B movies, freak-outs and Cadillacs in a manner that was raw, primal, and filthy whilst of course remaining very much a part of the underground.

I never saw the band play live, and having tried to play catch up with the bands work over the last couple of years, I am immensely saddened that I will never get the chance to see this great band in person. I therefore would like to dedicate this thread to Lux Interior and hope to pay homage to the original teenage werewolf and his glorious band in a fitting manner.

With this journal I aim to present regular reviews of all of the albums that The Cramps have blessed us with over years, I hope you enjoy.

Main Releases

1979 The Gravest Hits EP IRS
1980 Songs the Lord Taught Us IRS
1981 Psychedelic Jungle IRS
1983 Smell of Female Enigma
1983 Off The Bones Illegal
1986 Date with Elvis Big Beat
1987 Rockin n Reelin in Auckland New Zealand Vengeance
1990 Stay Sick! Enigma
1991 Look Mom No Head! Enigma
1994 Flamejob Medicine Label
1997 Big Beat from Badsville Epitaph
2003 Fiends of Dope Island Vengeance

Final line-up
Lux Interior (Erick Purkhiser) – vocals, Mar 73 to Feb 09
Poison Ivy (Kristy Wallace) – lead guitar, Mar 73 to Feb 09
Harry Drumdini – drums, Feb 93 – Jul 03 & Aug 06 to Feb 09

Notable Former members
Bryan Gregory (Greg Beckerleg) – guitar, Apr 76 – May 80
Nick Knox – drums, Jul 77 - Jan 91
Kid Congo Powers (Brian Tristan) – guitar, Dec 80 – Sep 83
Candy del Mar – bass, Jul 86 – Jan 91
Slim Chance – bass, Mar 91-Aug 98
Nickey Alexander – drums, Jun 91 – Jan 93
Bill "Buster" Bateman – drums, Jun 04 – Aug 06
Scott "Chopper" Franklin – bass & guitar, Jan 02 – Sep 06

Last edited by TheCellarTapes; 06-15-2009 at 05:20 AM.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote