Music Banter - View Single Post - Dig Out An Oldie Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

DJ Spooky - Under the Influence

I picked this up probably around the time it came out in 2001. I knew of DJ Spooky but I think this was the first album/mix of his that I picked up. It was in one of those new release feature areas at Wherehouse Music, or maybe it was still called Blockbuster Music at the time. I was really into electronic dance music at the time, mostly house and drum n bass.

To summarize, this is an excellent mix of drum n bass, breaks, hip-hop, trip-hop, etc. It opened my eyes to some new artists that I'd never heard before. There are a few DJ Spooky-produced or remixed tracks on here, but it's mostly other people's material in a seamless and very creative mix. Here are a few of the artists included: Moby, FSOL, Amon Tobin, Hive, Mixmaster Mike, Antipop Consortium, Mike Ladd, Saul Williams, Sonic Youth. I'm playing this now and still enjoy it immensely, it's still my favorite DJ Spooky release to this day.