Music Banter - View Single Post - Christian Hardcore/Metalcore
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTevinx View Post
Gwen Stacy does own. I wish the would come out with a new album. I mentioned APFP because I find that their lyrics are preaching to me, and they are too focused on telling a story with their lyrics, which makes the music suck. The vocals are bad IMO. This is one problem I have with August Burns Red. But they make amazing music so all is good.

I guess a lot of bands think it's like, revolutionary or something to be Christian. Or not label themselves as Christian but referance god in a alot of their songs (Attatck Attack! and older Oceana). Oceana once posted a blog on their myspace stating that they are not a christian band, but most of their lyrics are about god (Reach For The Sky). It just confuses me.
Yeah my old band opened for Gwen Stacy at a couple shows. They are really great live, good guys too. That's the problem with the metalcore genre, there is so much crap to dig through before you get to anything worthwhile that most people just dismiss it altogether.

As for bands playing/writing christian then coming out and saying they are not later. This is usually a case of bands using the christian audience to get recognized. Mostly because it's easier to get shows when you're starting as a band. Then after they feel they have established themselves, the denounce ever being christian so they can expand their audience yet again. I've seen it done several times. Even Creed did it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSho View Post
Ugh. I have a friend who only listens to music like this. Probably the worst genre ever. Everything from August Burns Red to Skillet etc. The only band that has any merit is Norma Jean, and Underoath at times.
Prime example of what I just mentioned. Although FaSho, I believe sometimes your opinion is influences bby the thoughts of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrelenting View Post
Yes, most metalcore bands now cite them as a huge influence. Even non metalcore fans should check them out. there is a large lack of chugga with them.

Yes I agree. They are definately a band that deserves a listen by anyone. Highly recommended.

Norma Jean are really copying Botch in terms of sound and message
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote