Music Banter - View Single Post - What drummer was the better songwriter?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Perauto View Post
I got a chance to speak to Mike Smith when he toured the US a few years back with his "Rock Engine". He was very critical of Clark's using his name on the songs he (Smith ), Davidson and Payton wrote. There's a guy in the UK called Ron Ryan who has a very good website called Ron Ryan Music ( it won't let me post the link as I'm a new member) where he tells how Clark "conned" him out of his songwriting credits.
For some reason I have a vague recollection of someone telling me that before, that is why I believe you, Buddy Holly had a similar problem with Norman Petty (maybe I'm thinking of that). I was just curious if there was something on the web about what you mentioned. I always kind of known the DC5 was more of a business venture for Dave Clark then a band of close friends that made music. They say Mike Smith could not mention the DC5 in advertising when he went on tour with Rocket Engine.
It is a shame that Mike Smith died before The Rock and Roll HoF induction of the DC5, they should had really been inducted in 2007.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote