Music Banter - View Single Post - Keyboard Advice for Musically Ignorant
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

I highly suggest going to a local shop rather than a big chain. People are more knowledgeable and will at least tell you what to look for, if the prices aren't right. They're also more likely to haggle.

Depending on what you want, you might want weighted keys. It gives the keyboard the same responsiveness that a real piano would have. If she ever transitions from one to the other, the change will be much easier.

If piano takes a strong second to her vocal training then I suppose it wouldn't matter too much, but for whoever is playing, the weighed keys would be a better move.Also, the keys don't drag like plastic keys, its a minor thing, but I know it pissed me off.

Make sure you know what you want for amplification too. Some pianos are going to require an amp to go along with it. Most keyboards are going to come with speakers, but if you start getting serious instuments, the design is such that they are expecting you to play for other people, and not just alone in your room. As such, you may find more with a amp port than internal speaker systems.