Music Banter - View Single Post - Think about this
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
I think the problem is people draw conclusions and form opinions much more by reading about things as oppose to doing them. Reading about something used to force you to ask questions, to put what little portion of the entire puzzle you've learned into practice. Now instead we just click on the next link and draw another conclusion.

There are a lot of talkers and a lot less doers.

To me I've always looked at the progression as information (when combined with experience leads to) knowledge (when combined with experience leads to) wisdom.

The previous post makes some good points and draws some conclusions I disagree with.

I do think the wealth of information at our finger tips is dumbing us down, is discouraging us learning how to do things. I do think that is a generalization but anything but an ignorant one. Of course their are expectations, but they're are a lot more people who don't even understand how much they are missing out on. When you read something online, you share in someone else's learning experience, when you do something yourself you create your own expereince which has an abundance more or relatblei information that you can turn into knowledge and wisdom.

I don't think people should be faulted for taking advantage of the wealth of information so readily available to them, but I don't think they should confuse information with knowledge. I can read an article on how a helicopter fly's and explain it perfectly, that doesn't know anything about why it fly's, it means I can read and relay information.

Now lets say I never learned to read but spent my life fixing helicopters, I might not be able to explain how it flys, but I could fix it if it wasn't flying.

Where we go astray is we tend to trust the first guy still because in the past if somebody knew enough about something to explain it or break it down in great detail it was because they had knowledge about the subject, expereince and wisdom. Today there are a lot more of those first types however and most of them couldn't tell there ass from a hole in the ground unless they did a Google image search.

I also feel like there is an unwillingness to admit a lack of knowledge now, the same curiosity that used to fuel learning and growth is now looked at as a weakness by a lot of young people who'd rather lie about what they know and go look it up.
That last paragraph you typed is intensely true.
With this net beneath us, we feel like no matter how sure footed we think we are, we've always got a backup.

But that's the kind of clusterfuck kinda situation that flips this whole thing around. It helps us, but it hurts us. It can hurt us, but it has such a potential to help us.

Something that very recently made me actually think about exactly what we're talking about:

My dad called me talking about a compressor for an AC unit for a house I'm selling, and me, not knowing crap about AC compressors, a lot of it was going over my head. He was giving me the specs so I could replace the compressor. (which is ridiculously expensive, btw... never buy one. Just go steal it.) So naturally, my first instinct is: "Google > type used compressors > find lowest price".
I realized that the knowledge he had was a product of actually working with the equipment. Sure, I can find the right compressor, but what do I watch out for? How do I know what I buy is of operable quality?
I really don't want to spend my life on Google, so I typically make a decision and roll with it. If I'm proven wrong with my decision, I will have learned.
But I can't possibly learn everything there is to learn just in case I'll need the knowledge.

What I'm getting at is: respect knowledge gained by experience, but if you happen to have gotten knowledge from an inexperienced source... well, that's experience.

Last edited by Freebase Dali; 05-29-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote